Monday, October 8, 2012

Seersucker Blazer

Hello, hello! It's been a few weeks. I've been getting in some great sewing time but haven't had the opportunity with my hubby fashion photographer for a photo shoot. Well your wait is over! I know you all have been waiting at the edge of your seats for my next project...
 
 
 
Introducing the blue and white seersucker blazer! This jacket was inspired by my Spring/Summer 2012 project. I saved the jackets and ankle pants for last because I knew I really wouldn't get  much wear out of them until more into Fall. Here in the Southwest it's still in the high 70's... still a little warm for jackets.
 
 
I used Simplicity 4698, an oldie but a goodie. This is a great pattern for a structured blazer jacket. You can make one with either a notch collar or no collar. It has princess seams and is partially lined. It has pocket and sleeve length variations. I sort of mixed views. I did the notch collar with 3/4 length sleeves and patch pockets.
 
I used a blue and white cotton seersucker from Fabric.com. I used "china silk" to line it. Dont' let the name fool you- it's cheap polyester lining. I spent about $20 total.
 
The jacket sewed up smoothly. The instructions were great. I finished all the exposed seams with seam binding. If I make this again, I will probably fully line the jacket. The partial lining is kind of odd. I made a size 16 right out of the envelope and it fits great. The only change I made was to make the petite adjustments. I've never been one for shoulder pads but I almost think this jacket could use some. All of the pictures are without shoulder pads but I really think it could benefit from some added shaping.
 
What's not to love? I really, really like this jacket and I think it can be dressed up or down. Here, you see it paired with my Burda ruffle blouse. I think it would look great with a basic tee or with a pretty cami underneath like my floral cami top. It looks great with jeans and flats. I can also picture it with a white skirt, over a white dress, or with slacks. The possibilities are endless- which is the point of my Spring/Summer 2012 project! I've got so much wear out of all my looks so far. I'm planning out my Fall/Winter 2012 wardrobe. I have not found a ready-made wardrobe to rip off inspire me for the cooler months so I am actually conjuring up my own sewing plan.
 
 

 

~Jenny

6 comments:

  1. Your jacket looks perfect! Very cute in the seersucker fabric. I am sure this will work with many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love this jacket, and your fabric. I have this pattern in my stash, i should bump it up the pile. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job. It looks like it's from a boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great jacket - i have made this as well and agree about the lining -quicker to do this than finish the exposed seams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great in your jacket. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your jacket! I've always wanted a seersucker jacket like that. Love your Burda top, too.

    ReplyDelete