Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pattern Review: Simplicity 2701 Jacket and Skirt



First of all, thank you for all of your kind comments on the last outfit. I might be hallucinating but I could have sworn that there were more comments and some of yours have gone missing. I just wanted to assure you that I have not removed any of them deliberately. If you have removed them yourself- that is of course OK if you chose to do so. Just didn't want to hurt any one's feelings. Silly computers!

Also, I have decided to go by my real name from now on in my blog instead of my pseudo name. I have confirmed that most of you are not psycho stalkers and are in fact sweet ladies who I consider friends within the sewing community. You must finish reading the post, or skip to the end to see the name:)

These are some fun pieces. I realize that a skirt suit can age oneself instantly. I will probably wear the pieces separately.


Pattern Description: Misses' jacket with front, collar and sleeve variations and skirt. I made the jacket with the v-neckline and three quarter length sleeves. I also made the skirt.

Pattern Sizing: This pattern is available in sizes 4-20. I made a 16 for both pieces.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, very much so.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I found the instructions to be fine. As with other Project Runway patterns by Simplicity, the instructions jump around quite a bit depending on the "designer details" you are adding. For example, there are two pocket variations you can do, or three sleeve variations. So if you are very dependent on the instructions, you must pay attention to which details you are doing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I thought that this was a very spring time looking combo. I like the three quarter sleeves of the jacket and the unique pockets. It's difficult to see from the photos but the pockets kind of have a bagged look to them. I also like the shape of the skirt... it almost has a tulip shape. No dislikes here.

Fabric Used: Both pieces of fabric are from Joann's. I used a loosely woven tweed that cost $23. I love the weight- it is really light and breathable. It is a bit difficult to sew with because it does stretch as it hangs. I should have let the jacket hand over night before completing the hem. I didn't and it dips in the back- something I need to go back and fix.

I used a stretch poplin for the skirt. Don't have the receipt for this one, but it had to be under $10.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I went down my usual one size from what the pattern recommends based on my measurements. I put in an invisible zipper on the skirt because I just like the clean look of an invisible zipper. If you haven't done so yet- I highly recommend an invisible zipper foot for your machine, it's worth every penny!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I could see making a different view of the jacket from this pattern. I also really like the skirt- could make a few more for the warmer weather.

Conclusion: Great separates that look good together or with other pieces. I love the skirt- it's so simple to make and looks great with a tank and sandals! I do recommend this pattern to others, with all the different variations, there are lots of possibilities!




~Jenny (the gal formerly known as Byrdie)

2 comments:

  1. I think blogspot was/is eating comments. Pleased to meet you, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete